Today I felt as if we were in high school being lectured about God. The speakers were wonderful but after Catholic school my entire life...no seriously it went St. Thomas, St. Ann, Notre Dame, and final The Catholic University of America...I have had a lot of Catholic education in my life. The JVC has four pillars: Social Justice, Community, Simple Living and Spirituality. It is not Christianity or Catholicism but Spirituality. Yes, yes I know to many people these are one in the same but I love that each and every person here has a different meaning for Spirituality and it can transcend the uniform answers that can often be given.
I have heard many things throughout my years in Catholic institutions. I will not lie, I cannot stand the people who believe things blindly. Faith is important but to grow in anything you must understand what you claim to believe and absolutely must question what you've been taught. Not in a disrespectful or spiteful way, as one might do in their teen angsty years, but in a mature and educated way. Admitting you don't fully understand or acknowledging the fact you may never fully understand is a wonderful ability. For me spirituality is a daily struggle and it is something I plan to work on in this year of service and simple living with my community.
No comments:
Post a Comment