Legal Services Alabama
"Service is Our Middle Name"
Perdido Beach Resort, Orange Beach AL
November 1 -3, 2010
LSA Non-Retreat Day 2
This morning we woke up to this... grey skies and rain. Today of all days, since we have free time for the entire afternoon. But it's fine I got to catch up on my sleep and had some quality alone time...well Marie was there too.
I shared a hotel room with Marie, our Domestic Violence Staff Attorney. Today Marie helped me learn that I have no interest in being a lawyer, and therefore I have no need to go to Law School. It was a liberating feeling.
Today we had another Jenny Schmitt presentation, this one was Social Media. She is a great presenter and both presentations seemed to really address issues faced by LSA. There is no real social media involvement by Legal Services Alabama and I think it could really assist in their approach to fundraising, outreach, and client feedback.
I also attended "Using a Holistic Approach to Evaluating and Interviewing Client," which was a great lecture, but most of the attendees were support staff and the lecture was geared toward attorney interactions. The VLP (Volunteer Lawyer Program) Roundtable was my last event for the day. From 1:00pm on we were free, but with the crummy weather there was no playing on the beach. I went to lunch with most of the staff attorneys from the Mobile office and learned a lot about the support they require and how I can help improve their work load.
After our late lunch I changed into pjs, got into bed, and watched lifetime movies. Marie was preparing cases and with other attorneys in the lobby downstairs, so for the first time in awhile I was alone. It was really nice to just be alone, not traveling anywhere or doing anything, but to be alone sitting in bed doing nothing.

No comments:
Post a Comment